Saturday, September 3, 2011

My Baby Sister

My sister, Maile, was born in April 1977 when I was nine. I loved having a baby sister. She was so small and I used to dress her in my dolls' clothes. There was no such thing as disposable diapers back then, so she wore cloth. I remember mom saying "Don't stick the baby with the pin" when I would change her.

We lived in a condo across from Sharon Elementary and I was in the fourth grade. At the time she was born, my parents were making plans to open their restaurant, The Hungry Hawaiian.

Grandpa Chu in Hawaii was sick, so Grandma Gordon, Lani, Shelly, and I went there to see him and Grandma. Grandma Clark went on a cruise to Alaska at that time and afterward also met us in Hawaii.

Here is a picture of our family before we left. Mom is holding Maile.
In 1978 we moved from Orem to Provo to be closer to The Hungry Hawaiian restaurant. We lived there for only a few months before we moved. Here is a picture of Maile in 1979 after she turned two.

In 1980 we lived in Kingman, Arizona and Maile was three.

Here are some pictures of Maile outside our house.

While we were in Kingman we also went to the grand canyon.
Here she is in 1981 when she was four.

In 1982 we lived in Ogden.
We had a family portrait taken and Maile, who was five, is sitting in the front..

Here's another picture of her in 1982.

In 1983, when she was six,we lived in Centerville, Utah for a few months.
Shes on the left listening to a book on tape.

We move to the cascade house in Orem on January 1, 1983.
This picture was taken in Orem when she was six.

In 1985 we went to Disneyland.
Here's a picture of her at our motel whe she was eight.

Here she is Feb 1986, before her nineth birthday.

In 1987 when she was ten Bryan gave her the chicken pox. Because of that, she had to stay home from a trip to Hawaii with Mom, Lani, Ken and Grandma.

I took her and her friend to the zoo that summer.

Here she is on Christmas morning.


In November 1988, when she was eleven, she, Kenneth and Mom moved to Mesa, Arizona to start a new future.

In May 1989, when she was twelve, Bryan and I visited her in Arizona.

She visited me that summer. Here she is at Lani's house in Provo, Utah.

Here she is again, in the upper right corner.

Here's she is in the fall of 1989, in her seventh grade picture.





Maile was a bridesmaid at my wedding in October 1990 when she was thirteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment